Thursday, June 21, 2018
WordPress is your very own personal web publisher.
It's an entire weblog software package for your web site. A weblog, also known as a blog, is basically a regularly updated, chronological listing of thoughts and articles published by a person or a group of individuals, containing either personal stories and incidents or helpful information pertaining to a particular domain of expertise.
WordPress allows you to publish your articles on a webpage instantly, and it takes care to see that the content you generate on your website adheres to recognized world wide web standards.
WordPress also helps you organize your thoughts and writings for display in a graceful and intuitively simple manner, and takes away the painful work and drudgery from what essentially should be a creative task, and not a mechanical or technical task.
With a little imagination, WordPress can be used to drive websites which meet different needs; such as a photolog, which can be regularly updated with new photographs, or a community bulletin board where people can leave comments and notes for others to read.
The following is a list of some of the features that come standard with WordPress,
however there are literally hundreds of plugins that extend what WordPress does, so the actual functionality is nearly limitless.
You are also free to do whatever you like with the WordPress code,
extend it or modify in any way or use it for commercial projects without any
licensing fees. That is the beauty of free
software, free meaning not only price but also the freedom to have complete
control over it.
- Full standards compliance --- We have gone to great lengths
to make sure every bit of WordPress generated code is in full compliance with
the standards of the W3C. This is important not
only for interoperability with today's browser but also for forward compatibility
with the tools of the next generation. Your web site is a beautiful thing,
and you should demand nothing less.
- No rebuilding --- Changes you make to your templates or
entries are reflected immediately on your site, with no need for regenerating
- WordPress Pages --- Pages allow you to manage non-blog content easily, so for example you could have a static "About" page that you manage through WordPress. For an idea of how powerful this is, the entire WordPress.org site could be run off WordPress alone. (We don't for technical mirroring reasons.)
- WordPress Links -- Links allows you to create, maintain,
and update any number of blogrolls through your administration interface. This is much faster than calling an external blogroll manager.
- WordPress Themes --- WordPress comes with a full theme system which makes designing everything from the simplest blog to the most complicated webzine a piece of cake, and you can even have multiple themes with totally different looks that you switch with a single click. Have a new design every day.
- Cross-blog communication tools--- WordPress fully supports
both the Trackback and
and we are committed to supporting future standards as they develop.
- Comments --- Visitors to your site can leave comments on
individual entries, and through Trackback or Pingback can comment on their
own site. You can enable or disable comments on
a per-post basis.
- Spam protection --- Out of the box WordPress comes with very robust tools such as an integrated blacklist and open proxy checker to manage and eliminate comment spam on your blog, and there is also a rich array of plugins that can take this functionality a step further.
- Full user registration --- WordPress has a built-in user registration system that (if you choose) can allow people to register and maintain profiles and leave authenticated comments on your blog. You can optionally close comments for non-registered users. There are also plugins that hide posts from lower level users.
- Password Protected Posts --- You can give passwords to individual posts to hide them from the public. You can also have private posts which are viewable only by their author.
- Easy installation and upgrades --- Installing WordPress
and upgrading from previous versions and other software is a piece of cake.
Try it and you'll wonder why all web software isn't this easy.
- Easy Importing --- We currently have importers for Movable Type, Textpattern, Greymatter, Blogger, and b2. Work on importers for Nucleus and pMachine are under way.
- XML-RPC interface --- WordPress currently supports an extended
version of the Blogger API, MetaWeblog API, and finally the MovableType API. You can even use clients designed for other platforms like Zempt.
- Workflow --- You can have types of users that can only post drafts, not publish to the front page.
- Typographical niceties --- WordPress uses the Texturize
engine to intelligently convert plain ASCII into typographically correct XHTML
entities. This includes quotes, apostrophes, ellipses, em and en dashes, multiplication
symbols, and ampersands. For information about the proper use of such entities
see Peter Sheerin's article The
Trouble With Em ’n En.
- Intelligent text formatting --- If you've dealt with systems
that convert new lines to line breaks before you know why they have a bad
name: if you have any sort of HTML they butcher it by putting tags after every
new line indiscriminately, breaking your formatting and validation. Our function
for this intelligently avoids places where you already have breaks and block-level
HTML tags, so you can leave it on without worrying about it breaking your
- Multiple authors --- WordPress' highly advanced user system
allows up to 10 levels of users, with different levels having different (and
configurable) privileges with regard to publishing, editing, options, and
- Bookmarklets --- Cross-browser bookmarklets make it easy
to publish to your blog or add links to your blogroll with a minimum of effort.
- Ping away --- WordPress supports pinging Ping-O-Matic, which means maximum exposure for your blog to search engines.
Installation:WordPress 2.3 automatically installs on your web site in seconds
- PHP version 4.1 or greater
- MySQL version 3.23.23 or greater
Or, follow the below instructions to install manually.
You can install WordPress yourself by following these instructions
If you see a message saying Error establishing a database connection
you should check for the following;
- Make sure the username, password, and hostname are correct for your WordPress mySQL database
- Make sure the WordPress mySQL database is created
Some versions of mySQL need to use the old password style to connect. The fix is simple, but requires root access. It's an SQL query command to tell mySQL to use the old password style. If you don't have root access, then your web hosting company will need to run the command for you. This is what you should enter:
SET PASSWORD FOR 'dbusername'@'host' = OLD_PASSWORD('dbpassword');
Replace "dbusername" with the same username set for the database using WordPress, replace "host" with the host name to connect to your database. This is usually "localhost". Lastly replace "dbpassword" with the password to the WordPress database.
Once you do that, you should be able to get WordPress running without a problem.
"Hey! We just downloaded your software for the RedHat platform. Setup was so easy! And the chat interface is very intuitive. We love it! We are a small college in Northern Utah called Stevens-Henager College. We are a private college, and we carry about 300 students average enrollment. We are looking for a web chat server for a 'Distance Education' program we're looking into. We want to get remote students to interact with instructors in real time on our campus. Your software is perfect for us."
- T. White
Send us your thoughts
Download Fuse Node.js Compiler